Touristic Nanjing

Men Dong, history rebuilt

Close to the Qinhuai river, just inside the city wall, a street is rebuilt, modelled after the old Nanjing.

Fuzi Temple

Near the Qinhuai river you will find the Fuzi temple, a temple devoted to Confucius. The temple was founded during the Jin Dynasty (265 - 420) as part of Nanjing Imperial University in the year 384. After the place was destroyed, the Confucius Temple was newly constructed on former site of imperial university in 1034 during Song Dynasty, and was called Fuzimiao area along with Nanking Fuxue.
The place became Imperial University again in 1365 in the early year of Ming Dynasty, and 16 years later recovered to be the campus of Fuxue. During Qing Dynasty, there were two Xianxue (county schools of Shangyuan and Jiangning) in Fuzimiao area. The current buildings date from the 19th century, in Qing Dynasty, with additions made since then.

Throughout its history, the temple along with the around area has been a place for study of Confucianism. There is a small exhibit of folkart within the temple


One of the halls acts as a music theatre. Many traditional Chinese instruments are on display and played now and then. Once enough donations are made, the musicians will start to play

Around Fuzi Temple

On the border of the Qinhuai river, around the Fuzi Temple there is a lively shopping area, food - and night market and many other attractions. Let us take a look around


At night the lights are on, creating a very special atmosphere


The food stalls and the many restaurants in this area see lots of business


During Spring Festival - the celebration of the Chinese New Year - the area in front of the Fuzi temple is one of the spots where people gather to celebrate

Lion Rock

Yuejiang Tower 阅江楼 (which means Enjoying-the-River Tower) is situated on the top of Shizishan (Lion Mountain) to the northwest of Nanjing, close to the river Yangtze and fully enclosed by the city wall. Ascending the tower, one can enjoy the Yangtze River extending far away to its north and the scenery of Nanjing to its south.
In 1360, Zhu Yuanzhang (朱元璋) defeated Chen Youliang’s 400,000 forces with his 80,000 army in Lu Longshan, which set up the basis for the reign of Ming Dynasty and for taking Nanjing as the capital. After proclaiming himself as the emperor, Zhu Yuanzhang changed Lu Longshan as the Lion Mountain in 1374. He ordered to build the Yuejiang Tower on top of the mountain and wrote the Note on Yuejiang Tower in person. Tai Zu Zhu Yuanzhang was the first emperor of the Ming dynasty

Kwan-Yin Scenic Area

Kwan-Yin is a scenic area very close to the Yangtze river. In caves some small temples where created. It is converted into a park with some ponds, statues and buildings

Finder Art District

In Beijing you will find Factory 798, a place for artists. Nanjing has a similar facility by the name of Finder Art District. This is a place where artists work together or alone in a supportive environment